Yesterday I taught a class on how to turn old sweaters into fleece-lined mittens. This is an awesome project because it is quick, easy and you can make a pair for $5 or less with a sweater from Goodwill. It’s also a great way to turn a hideous sweater into an adorable pair of mittens.
I’ve already gotten a request for the pattern on my Facebook page, so I’m including the directions here. First you need to find a pattern for a pair of fleece mittens. Then follow the instructions below to adapt the pattern for sweater mittens.
Supplies: Fleece mitten pattern, old sweater, 1⁄4 yard of fleece, coordinating cotton thread, scissors and pins
1. Pin the pattern pieces to the sweater. You may need to cut the sweater apart at the seams to fit all the pieces on.
2. Use your fabric scissors to cut around the pattern pieces, cutting two of each piece for the right and left hand.
3. With right sides together, pin “Lower Front” to “Upper Front” matching thumbs and marking dots.
4. Using a 1⁄4-inch seam allowance, sew from dot to dot around the thumb.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 with fleece lining.
6. Clip right angle near thumb on fleece lining, being careful not to cut past the seam allowance.
7. With right sides together, pin “Lower” and “Upper Front” pieces to the “Back” piece. Make sure to turn the thumb toward the inside of the mitten and pin it out of the way of the seam allowance.
8. Using a 1⁄4-inch seam, sew around the round edge of the sweater mitten and fleece lining, leaving the bottom open for your hand.
9. Turn sweater mittens right sides out.
10. With the wrong sides out, put fleece lining on your hand and fit sweater mitten on top.
11. Take off the mitten and lining as one and pin hand opening from sweater mitten to hand opening of fleece lining, making sure to match side seams.
12. Using a scant 1⁄4-inch seam, baste the hand opening of the sweater mitten and fleece lining together.
13. Cut cuff of sweater sleeve off to make the mitten cuff. I usually cut my cuffs about 4 inches long.
14. With the right side of the cuff facing the fleece lining, pin raw edge of cuff to the hand opening of the mitten.
15. Using a 1⁄4-inch seam allowance, sew the cuff to the hand opening.
16. Flip cuff around the edge of the hand opening to the outside of the mitten, concealing raw edges.
17. Embellish your mittens by sewing a decorative button to the cuff or wear as is.